A lot of times in the job search I'll be reading along a seemingly great job ad and then get to the words "Catholic," "evangelical," "statement of faith" or something similar. Oops, wrong turn! It's really hard to tell from the names of some of these places. But this morning I met a new one. "Qualified persons committed to a Reformed, biblical perspective and educational philosophy are encouraged to send..." Maybe it's because I'm not religious but what is a Reformed (capital R) philosophy? I don't know, but teaching astronomy from a biblical perspective would be an interesting challenge.
[For those religious folks out there, I'm not meaning to disparage these schools, just to say that they are not a good match for me!]
Reformed, as in the whole 1517 Martin Luther Reformation, as in John Calvin. I could go into more detail with the 5 points of traditional Calvinism, but it's probably not that useful to you. :)
ReplyDeleteBut isn't the capital "R" a reference to Dutch Reformed specifically, as opposed to "reformed" in general?
ReplyDelete