The family that lives there is also very nice. I'm especially impressed by the three kids, who can't really live in their house since people are there. I'm not going to say the name of the inn because I'd hate for it to come up in a search and ruin this family's livelihood. Another really great thing was the food - it was really a Bed & Breakfast despite the Inn title. The mom really knows how to cook and the breakfasts included homemade applesauce, homemade breads, and syrup fresh from their trees. There is also a lovely stained glass window.
Ok, now for the fun. Here is my room, presumably the best room in the house (since I was the only guest).
Now you might stop me and say, "Amy, that is a perfectly charming little room." Maybe at first glance. It's one of those things where you just can't take it all in at once. Even at the end of my visit I would all of a sudden notice a sexy cherub or "puppy class" painting and start laughing to myself. So let's look at some items up close, shall we?
Some highlights include: a cow sculpture (actually my favorite thing in the room), religious figurines, native american figurines, asian elephants, a victorian-era painting in which a man is sad because two women are cuddling together, a fake bird in a bird cage, a totally nasty pink robe for me to use, plastic candle lights in each window (turned on), and a "mothering" magazine with a headline "A Dad Learns to Love Homebirth." Mind you this is all in just my bedroom (and is not even half of it). I wasn't so crass as to go wandering around the house taking pictures - except the upside-down dancing cherubs, that one I couldn't resist.Let's move on to the bathroom next.
Now you might ask, why would they take such a nicely decorated (and I say that in the loosest sense) place and have a spongebob squarepants bathroom? The answer is probably that the kids are into spongebob, since there is only one shower in the whole building, so we are all sharing! There was pee in the toilet every time I went in there (you are welcome for not taking a picture). I also enjoy being greeted in the morning by some else's dirty underwear.
Maybe this is because I am not a B&Ber, but it felt very weird to me to basically be a guest in their home. All of the upstairs bedrooms had tags on them like they were for guests, but I caught glimpses in and at least two of them are really the kids rooms.
Maybe this all would not be so bad except that this was billed to me as a very nice inn. Whenever someone asked where I was staying they would say "oh, that's a really nice place." Uh, ok. What can you say when the interviewers put you up there and want to know what it's like? In the end it didn't matter since I really just passed out there at the end of the day and it worked just fine for that. Just some nice charm from my potential future home.
AAAAAAAAACK! Sexy cherubs! And the sad man and cuddling ladies! Rob and I stayed in a B&B ONCE when we were looking for a house in CT and I don't think we ever will again. I think we like a little more anonymity when traveling and that scene is just not for us.
ReplyDeleteBut it's a dangerous move making fun of Mothering magazine. You should watch out because those hippie moms are tough cookies and will kick your ass.
Oh, I don't mind the magazine itself, I just don't find it appropriate that my host assumes I should learn about home births while I'm staying there and leaves it on my nightstand.
ReplyDelete