A new job was recently announced that I am going to apply for. It is very different than my other job possibilities (faculty at undergraduate colleges). This one is a postdoc doing astronomy education and public outreach. I have been getting myself kinda jazzed up about it - the work sounds really interesting and I know the people I'd be working with and I like them and think it would be fun to join the team. The city could also be good (though far from home) and I know someone who lives there already. I was telling this to my dad yesterday and he said, "it sounds like you are convincing yourself that this is what you want to do." Wait, what? I think he might be right! As each new job possibility comes along I fully picture myself there and tell myself how great it would be. I've done this for at least four places now. Is that normal? Does that mean that I haven't found the job that actually fits me well and so I'm convincing myself that I have, or does it just mean that I would be happy doing many different things? Hopefully the latter.
I've also realized that I do this when it comes to boys. There will be a just fine guy that I've known for a while with little or no interest, then all of a sudden (often prompted by something on his end) I decide that I would be totally happy dating him and that this should commence ASAP. Then two weeks later I move on. This is a somewhat troubling pattern to discover! (Ok, I kinda already knew this about the guys, but I called it just having fun.) Hopefully when I really do find "the one" - be it man or job - I will be able to recognize it as the real thing!
No comments:
Post a Comment