Friday, February 20, 2009

Graduation Update

Well the meeting with the advisor did happen today, and I guess it was pretty much what I expected. I am almost all done with the research part of my dissertation, and now I just have to write write write. My advisor has gotten it in his head over the years that I am a slow writer. I'm not sure why he thinks this, since most of the delay in writing is me waiting for him to give comments. But regardless he thinks I'm slow (maybe I am, who knows?) so he's a bit doubtful of me finishing this semester. The fact that he is even considering me graduating by May instead of the summer is good news to me. In any case, I am to give him a chapter of the dissertation by next Friday, so we'll see how fast I can be! But first, one more job application to write...
(As an aside, he also said that he doesn't have money to pay me this summer, which could make paying for a move to a new city a little difficult! Time to get creative.)

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I found your blog. This will be great to show some of my students, too. I have a couple going through the process right now.

    I might note that in your case (getting a meeting with the "Adviser") it sounds like "business as usual." Sorry for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good that you are trying to graduate in May. He won't be around during the summer and I hope you remember how much that sucked for me. I knew he was short on money but I didn't know it was that bad. So, two good reasons to try to graduate early.

    Good luck with the writing of the first chapter!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, he's going to be gone for the month of April too, so I don't really know how it's going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Amy go! It feels good to have the end in sight huh?

    ReplyDelete