I got my first job-related letter in the mail today. The skinny envelope was not inviting, but it turns out that I'm on a wait list of sorts. It says that there were over 100 applications and they have invited 3 people to visit the campus. My application has not been rejected, but they are holding it along with several others in case the first 3 people don't work out. I don't have any particular feelings about this position, so I'm not really sad or anything. But it does put the process in perspective. It hadn't really occurred to me that I'm competing with over 100 people. That's a lot! And it looks like I am at least in the top 10. That's nothing to sneeze at. And if/when I do get a job that means I will have beaten out 100 people - kinda scary. I feel for applicants 90 through 100 - will they ever get a job? Are there enough jobs to go around? Maybe they should just throw us all in a big room and lock us in until everyone is paired. I do want to say a big Thank You to this job for keeping me updated. It is trying on the patience to not hear anything from so many places. Though it does keep me in the delusion that I have not been rejected by anywhere yet.
In other news, I am supposed to meet with my advisor tomorrow to discuss the big graduation plans. Of course I was also supposed to meet with him last Friday for the same reason, and that didn't happen (admittedly mostly my fault for having other things to do that day). But I will be working like crazy today in preparation anyway. Maybe that's the plan behind his meeting behavior...
The highest figure I got this year for competition was 230, where are all these astronomers coming from???. It is indeed a great thing that you are on a shortlist of any sort.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the advisor, we all know how tricky that tends to get.