Monday, February 23, 2009

Parental Support

As much as I am curious about my future plans, my parents are even more so. They have been staying up to do date on all of the latest developments, and over analyze them perhaps more than I do. A few days ago I had a conversation with my mom in which she was forcing me to decide between jobs X, Y, and Z. I spent several minutes weighing the pros and cons of each for her, and it was obvious that job X was the correct answer in her mind, and coincidentally the one closest to where she lives. After a while I finally said, this is silly, I haven't even gotten offered any of these jobs! But she says that it's better to think things through now anyway (probably so she can convince me of job X before I can consider otherwise).

Today I talked with my dad again about all the job stuff. He kinda takes the opposite route, which is that I should do whatever is best for me, regardless of where in the country it lands me. It is nice not to be getting the geographical pressure from both of them, but Dad is taking it to the opposite extreme. He thinks that the job farthest away is the best choice and that it is silly that I would even entertain the idea of taking another job. I then had to remind him that I haven't actually gotten offered any of these jobs either. Of course he thinks I am amazing and that all these jobs will be begging to have me, so that's just a minor technicality for now.

Of course in the end I will do what I think is best for me, and they will both be very supportive. In the meantime it's good to bounce things off of them, since I probably think much the same way they do. And at least this is a topic of conversation other than "so when are you going to graduate?" and "how is your dissertation coming?"

1 comment:

  1. It is so great to have parents who are so convinced that you'll get anything you want! Of course, I think you should get whatever job you want to, so there go...

    ReplyDelete