Friday, February 6, 2009

A phone interview

Today I had my first phone interview for a job. I have to say, it was a bit anti-climactic. I spent quite some time researching the school, their classes, etc. Then looking up typical interview questions and things I should ask. And finally studying phone interview tips (stand up, smile, have paper and water handy). I then sat around for 30 minutes doing nothing so I wouldn't be distracted when they called. All of this and 20 minutes later it was over. I actually think I did a good job and my prep work definitely paid off when I was answering the questions. But after hearing more from them I don't think it's quite the job I want. It's an instructor position, and while I do want to focus on teaching, I also want the option of doing some research at the same time. Oh well, in this economy I might not have much choice! And I would be living at the beach with this job, so it has its pluses. And now it's time to write some thank you notes...

1 comment:

  1. Yay! A blog! So I have only had ONE phone interview. It was in the time period between when we found out Rob matched at Yale and when I got offered the postdoc at Yale, and I was applying to a bunch of industry jobs. Some recruiter gave my resume to this company and they called me with no notice whatsoever-- I had no preparation, I hadn't read anything about how to phone interview, and I didn't even know anything about the company. To top it off, I was being interviewed by a technical type who 1) knew a LOT more about the company's technical stuff than I did and 2) was very nerdily awkward. It was about the most humiliating 20 minutes of my life.

    ReplyDelete