Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Ducks in Arms

Last weekend was another lovely weekend about town.  Friday afternoon was a big end of the school year sharing of student work.  There was a poster session for students to show their research.  I didn't know about it in time to make my student do a poster, but several of my faculty friends were there with their students.  There also were two art shows, which I thought were very nice.  One set of photographs in particular was really good, but I can't seem to find it online.  Afterward the research students wanted to go out for a celebratory drink, so the professors went along as well.  The occasion got some daddy professors special permission to go out after work, so we had a good group.  I had been having some trouble with my standard drink of choice, bourbon and coke, keeping me awake at night from the caffeine.  So I decided to give bourbon and ginger ale a try instead.  It was so very yummy that I think it will be my drink from now on.  It was even yummy enough to entice a non-drinker to drink...

On Saturday I was mostly lazy, catching up on some knitting that I hadn't had time to do in a while.  Then I went to dinner (yummy sushi!) and the campus production of Babes in Arms with a friend.  It was really good, and my favorite show seen here in New York thus far.  I guess historically it is supposed to be a controversial play with sex and race relations, but we really didn't see that at all so it must be really tame in the present day context (it was written in 1937 by Rogers and Hart).  Two of my students were in it, and it was super funny to see them on stage and so lively in a comedy.  They are so much more quiet in class!  The lead actress was really amazing and I hope that she is able to go on to be successful in the business.  New Paltz has a strong theater department, but I'm not sure if it has a history of feeding people to NYC.  Babes in Arms has the songs "My Funny Valentine" and "Lady is a Tramp" (as well as some other somewhat recognizable songs), and the lead really was amazing singing those.


Sunday was the big New Paltz Regatta.  My town is just way too adorable.  People build their own boats, usually decorated in some theme.  They then parade them down Main St, throwing candy and such at the crowd.  (As if weekend traffic isn't bad enough, they shut down Main St!)  At the end of Main St is a river, where most of the Regatta celebrations take place.  There was a live band, face-painting, moon-bounce, burgers and hot dogs, etc.  I think there was a canoe/kayak race, but it didn't seem like they were actually racing, more just having a leisurely ride (what is the boating equivalent of a stroll?).  Then there was the duck race.  They dump a bunch of rubber ducks off the bridge, and after they reach some arbitrary point they scoop up some arbitrary ducks to get prizes.  It is really a glorified raffle, but it is fun.  I think they should let you decorate your duck so that you can root them on.


Then comes the actual regatta, in which all of the homemade boats take to the water.  Again, I don't think there's really any kind of race to it.  People just cheer on the boats as they float past. I took a bunch of pictures and put them online here.  Afterward I went across the street to a cute little outdoor shopping market and had some frozen lemonade, followed by a fresh mozzarella, prosciutto, and pesto sandwich.  It was a lovely afternoon.


Throughout all of these events I have been walking everywhere.  On a light day, just walking to work and back, I go about 1.6 miles.  When I add in all these other things I get up to a good 3 or so miles of walking a day.  It is feeling really good to get outside and use my body, and it is definitely building up some muscles in my legs that hadn't been used in a while.  Last night I had to go to the grocery store (which is only a half mile away, but would involve carrying a lot of stuff so I drive), but before that I had probably only used my car once in two weeks.  Go me!  Of course with summer having arrived in full force this now makes me very sweaty a lot and I'm actually looking a little tan in the face.  We also don't have good A/C on campus, so life is very sweaty these days.  Oh well, such is life.  I also am in need of some good, supportive, but cute, walking sandals.  I am going to wear out my $2.50 Old Navy flip flops pretty fast at this rate.  Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. Oh man, I love your town too! That sounds like so much fun.

    My two pairs of favorite comfy supportive sandals are from Clarks and Sofft. I have really wide feet, though, so I tend to have to be picky about shoes and spend $$$ on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Americans are so cute when they get excited about walking. I never measured my walking in Mex or here, but I do know that it is waaaay more than whatever I did in Austin, so I get your point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those ducks are so cute!

    As for sandals, I would highly recommend Chacos. They're expensive, but you can usually find relatively good deals online. I bought some right before I left Austin, and am so happy I can start wearing them again. They're totally adjustable (although weird at first), and offer a lot of support.

    ReplyDelete