Sunday, May 9, 2010

Another Adorable Weekend

I should rename this blog "cute small town weekends."


On Friday after work I stopped by the Psychology Department's kickball tournament.  I knew a few of the faculty members involved, and almost wished that I had worn the appropriate shoes to jump on a team.  It looked fun.  I then continued on my way to the local brewery for happy hour/dinner with colleagues.  We then went to see yet another on-campus play, first stopping by kickball to pick up a friend.  We saw "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee."  It was really cute.  It was put on by a student group who apparently does the whole play themselves, without support from the theater department.  There are a lot of freshmen and sophomores who haven't yet made it into the big shows.  It was a funny cute little play, though I have a hard time imagining it on Broadway.


On Saturday I went to the neighboring town's Cupcake Festival.  I mean really, a cupcake festival is too cute.  I hadn't really gotten to explore that town much, so it was nice just to see their Main Street area.  I will definitely have to go back to try some of the restaurants.  The festival really did consist mainly of eating cupcakes, plus a live band, face-painting, pony rides, and a moon bounce.  There were several people there that I know, and one of them introduced me to a neighbor of mine my age who was also there with her young daughter.  Unfortunately the first thing the neighbor said was, "Do you have kids?"  When I responded, "No, it's just me," she had a big look of surprise and said "Oh, just [pause] you."  I guess we won't be hanging out any time soon.  Come on lady, five years ago you were just like me, surely you can remember.  How obnoxious some young couples/mothers can be!  (I am sure that all of my mother friends out there reading this don't treat single/childless people like lepers.)

(More festival pics here)

There was also a local bourbon distillery giving tastings and selling bourbon cupcakes.  Unfortunately I missed their cupcakes, and I wasn't really into drinking bourbon to wash down my sugary cupcakes in the middle of the afternoon.  But now that I know they are there I will definitely be going back for a visit!  Stay tuned for the next cute small town weekend...

6 comments:

  1. Those cupcakes look yummy! How cute is right!

    I've been wanting to see Spelling Bee for a long time. I have some of the music, but alas, I have yet to see it. Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bourbon cupcakes? Sign me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what's cutter, the cupcakes or the pony. It sounds like they really use the good weather when they have it over there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would never treat you like a leper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh - a cupcake festival? How perfect is that? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Single/childless people are enviable! I bet you got more sleep in the last week than I have in the last month. :) We're totally jealous! :) But, if you ever want to borrow a kid - especially when cupcakes are involved - X and I will drive up to New Paltz in a second.

    ReplyDelete