Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Happy Birthday To Me



Yesterday was my birthday, and it was quite a big one.  I am officially in my 30s now.  That probably should depress me, but I'm actually looking forward to my 30s.  Of course it helps that I all of a sudden have my life in order now.  I keep thinking of the Friends episode when Rachel turns 30 and she freaks out about it because her life is a mess.  Aside from me comparing my life to a tv show, I have to say that things are going well.  Over the holidays I saw some more distant family and friends who asked what was going on with me and it's nice to no longer say that I am still in school.  For once I am finally a grown up!  I have a job and a house and everything!  I guess turning 30 really solidifies my grown up status.  Interesting thought.  Of course I'd like to add in a husband and kids, but there's not much I can do about that so I am content to wait.

As for celebrations, I had a little dinner party in Virginia after Thanksgiving for family and some friends who live in the area.  We had some very yummy mexican food from my favorite place (their salsa was never matched in Texas).  Then my mom came up to New Paltz last night and took me out to my favorite New Paltz restaurant.  Having NYC and the Culinary Institute of America nearby certainly makes for some very yummy food.  Today my mom brought me a cake at work and I shared it with my coworkers, though 3 out of 5 of them declined free cake, WTF?  It's a little sad that I don't have many friends up here yet, but at least everyone I do know has wished me happy birthday and been nice.  Hopefully some new friends are on order, though, because I am using this as an excuse to throw a party this weekend.  I'm inviting pretty much everyone and their spouses/friends, so it should be a good chance to meet people.  Now I just have to hope that I can get my place ready in time!

And since I am a super geek, I noticed an interesting trend in the birthday wishes this year.

I warned you it was super geeky.  Facebook seems to be the way to go these days.  It's actually very nice to receive so much love from around the world, no matter what form.

3 comments:

  1. I love your pie chart! And I think I was one of those who failed to send you any kind of message on your actual birthday, so here's some late birthday love for you... :)

    Oh, and I think your party is a fabulous idea. Playing the host is always a good way to develop friendships in a new town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The party sounds like a great idea. It's always a good way to make new friends. Maybe you can whip up a replica of your favorite salsa for the New Paltz crowd.

    Andrea aka Dr. Smelloscope

    P.S. Not sure how this blog thing is going to work. I haven't had much to write about since the first post. We'll see....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! 30 is wonderful - it has been the best year of my life!

    The party sounds like a perfect way to meet new people. I'm really in awe how you're able to do all sorts of social things! You'll have a huge group a friends in no time, I'm sure.

    Love that pie chart - it's amazing how Facebook has changed the face of birthday greetings! LOL

    ReplyDelete