Tales of being a new faculty member, settling into a new town, and me just being me.
Thursday, December 31, 2009
2009
As today is the last day of 2009 there has been a lot of reflection on the events of the past year. Apparently a lot of my friends have had a really bad year and are very much looking forward to it being over. (Not that things magically change on Jan 1.) Fortunately I have not had the same experience. This has been a year of major accomplishments for me; I have finally finished my PhD, got a job as a professor, and bought my first house. That probably makes it the most (positively) eventful year of my life. That's not to say the year has been without its challenges. After all, I finished my PhD, got a job as a professor, and bought my first house. It was also tough to leave Austin, my home of the last 8 years. Meeting people and adjusting to a new city has been a challenge. But it is also a great adventure and learning experience. The lowlight of the year was my stepfather passing away, but even that has some positives as it has brought my family together more and has shown my mother all of the great friends that she has. So here's to the end of a very busy, challenging, and positive year. I'm hoping that next year will be less chaotic as I settle in more and have the chance to focus on other aspects of my life.
Happy New Year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I know what you mean with regard to looking forward to 2010 as being a monumental year of making life changes and looking back not to dwell on things, but rather to realize how we can incorporate better approaches to addressing problems.
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year!
Happy new year to you!
ReplyDelete