Man this week has knocked me on my butt. I have just nearly survived the worst of it, and I find myself with a few minutes to spare and finally say hi to you all out in internet land. So this is how things have been looking to me lately:
Tuesday: Band rehearsal. Two hours long, twenty minute drive each way. Evening totally sucked up. Fun though!
Wednesday: Trivia night starts at 9pm. Stay at the office working until then because I have two classes to prep for on Thursdays.
Thursday-Sunday: Went out of town with some college friends. I also went out of town two weekends before that, so I have been missing some valuable free time. Hopefully I'll get around to giving those trips their own posts.
(Man, I am so sleepy that I am having a hard time typing).
Monday: Band concert. I thought that it went really well and our band sounded really good. I play with the nearby community college band, and this was a joint concert with New Paltz's college band. Amazingly, at least nine of my current and former students were in the New Paltz band and I had no idea. I think they were surprised to see me having an outside life. Some of them ignored me, some of them quietly said hi, some of them boldly came up and chatted, and others waited to say something when we were back in the safe territory of class time. Back to the concert, it was the general consensus that our band totally kicked their band's butt. I guess it makes sense because our band has more community members, but I would have thought that New Paltz has so many artsy types that they could pull together a better band. Interesting. Now that the semester is over I am going to join a casual community band for the summer.
Tuesday: Managed an hour nap in the afternoon. Still super sleepy. Tried to forgo caffeine for a while because I have been too dependent. Dinner with colleagues at a local Indian buffet. Yum.
Wednesday: Lunch with colleagues. Caffeine reinstated with a vengeance. Another late night at work followed by trivia.
Today, Thursday: Barely making it through work. Tonight I am going to dinner with friends followed by our campus performance of the play Tommy. I am super excited to see how they pull it off.
Tomorrow: Sleep. Sleep. Possibly make it to work for my knitting group. Sleep sleep.
Saturday: Trip to NYC with a group for underrepresented STEM students. We are going to Hayden Planetarium.
Sunday: Grade grade grade grade. Symphony rehearsal.
Monday: Last day of class!!! (Sleep.) Did I mention that it is end of semester crunch time at work? Students are truly delightful at this time of year. (Actually, some of them are. It's been a bit of a roller coaster with them.)
Whew! It continues, but I will spare you. I complained on facebook that my DVR is completely full and that I am going to have to start missing shows. A friend commented, "If you're up to date on TV, you're probably behind on life." Good point. Life has indeed been winning these days, and I think I have to be thankful for that. I realize that many of the above activities were completely optional and I probably should have skipped some of them. But that's not me. (Apparently whining on the internet is more my style... :)) Pretty soon school will be over and I can balance things out a bit more. But for now, I have to go because my friend is here for dinner!
LOL-- go to sleep, Amy! This end-of-semester time is so intense when you're teaching. I was going to be due with Violet exactly in the middle of that time one semester, so that is when I quit working. I should get around to starting again sometime, huh?
ReplyDeleteEven before having Leah, I would have turned down a few of the dinners, you are definitely a young spirit. It all sounds like a lot of fun!
ReplyDelete