Backstage at the concert I tried to chat a bit with two of the flautists in my group. I'd say that they are in their mid twenties, and they both teach music in schools (not sure what grade range, younger kids). They were talking about teaching and I chimed in with something about my classes. They said, "Oh, where do you teach?" "SUNY New Paltz." "What subject?" "Physics and astronomy." "..."
Tales of being a new faculty member, settling into a new town, and me just being me.
Sunday, February 27, 2011
Unidentifiable
This week I had my first concert performance here in NY. The community college band that I play with participated in a scholarship benefit concert along with several other groups. It was kinda fun to perform on stage again, though it was pretty low key since we hadn't rehearsed much yet this semester and we only played two songs. I did get to see the community band perform, which is the group that I can't make the rehearsals for but that I should probably be in. There were like 10 flautists and half of them looked to be college/high school age and the other half had gray hair. So I don't think I'm missing much by not being in that group! One of the men in my group is also a music professor at New Paltz and is super nice. We had sectionals in my New Paltz ensemble this week and he led the woodwinds. Afterward he asked if I was a music major in college (go me!) and said that we should play some chamber music together (he plays oboe). I think I am meeting all the right people to keep up my playing!
Backstage at the concert I tried to chat a bit with two of the flautists in my group. I'd say that they are in their mid twenties, and they both teach music in schools (not sure what grade range, younger kids). They were talking about teaching and I chimed in with something about my classes. They said, "Oh, where do you teach?" "SUNY New Paltz." "What subject?" "Physics and astronomy." "..."(awkward pause) Girl 1: "Wow, I never took physics, even in high school." Girl 2: "Yeah, me neither." Me: "What?? You didn't have to take physics?" (another awkward pause) Me: attempt to change the subject. Several minutes later, Girl 1: "Wow, physics, I just... can't identify with that at all..." Sigh. The conversation got more and more awkward from there. We even discovered that we all make our own jewelry and knit. But apparently that (and playing flute) was not enough common ground. I am a physics freak and can not be identified with.
Backstage at the concert I tried to chat a bit with two of the flautists in my group. I'd say that they are in their mid twenties, and they both teach music in schools (not sure what grade range, younger kids). They were talking about teaching and I chimed in with something about my classes. They said, "Oh, where do you teach?" "SUNY New Paltz." "What subject?" "Physics and astronomy." "..."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ah, the awkward physics conversations :( That's too bad they couldn't get past it!
ReplyDeleteI used to tell people I was studying astrophysics, but that got me into so many awkward conversations that I just started to say astronomy - that was way more interesting and identifiable to people (though, then you get the astrology/astronomy mix ups! LOL!).
Lame! Believe it or not, I still get this sometimes when I am in social situations with other moms and we talk about jobs and careers. Are some people really this insecure? Or think scientists are boring? Or what?
ReplyDeleteWow, that is totally lame. I sometimes wonder if it's just people's misconception about scientists or what. I do think people are insecure sometimes. But it's just too bad that they can't get over that ONE thing when you have all those other things in common!
ReplyDelete