Today a friend of mine here, who plays cello, asked me if I wanted to come to the symphony on campus tonight. At first I thought she meant it was a concert, but then I realized that she meant that we would rehearse with them. She was an outside committee member for a music master's student and a music professor told her about the group and said that both she and I were welcome to join. I was super confused because I had looked into musical groups that I could play with, and didn't see one on campus. I had seen a youth group that has local high school students along with college students... and it turns out that is what we went to. I guess they are trying to open it to community members. My friend and I did appear to be the oldest people there (aside from the director), but it was fun anyway. The level of music seemed good, and there was only one other flautist so I even got some little soli/solo parts. One of the cellists told my friend that the local middle and high schools don't have music groups so the few kids who really want to play do so there. What?? That is amazingly sad to me.
Anyway, halfway through there was a break and all of the wind instrument kids gathered their stuff to leave. I was confused, but it turns out that for the second half of the rehearsal the wind ensemble splits off and does their own band rehearsal with separate band music and a different director. Neat! I introduced myself to the band director, and he was very excited to have me there. He said that he runs another band that I might be interested in. It is out of the local community college, and I had heard about it, but they meet on the same night that I do public nights at the observatory. Actually, there are two groups, the public community band is the night I can't go, and another better by-audition group is on a different night. He invited me to come play with the better group, and said I could come by the other group whenever I can make it. Even after hearing me play in rehearsal (again, two flutes, so he could definitely hear me) he reiterated that I would be great in that group. Go me - I am WAY out of practice. He really was enthusiastic and I don't believe I could have said no had I wanted to. So I am apparently now a member of 3-4 new music ensembles! I am pretty excited about getting back into it, and maybe the other group will even have some grown-ups I can meet. I am a bit hesitant about filling up two to three nights of my week, but I think it will be good for me.
Also, some observations, since it has been a really long time since I was in a real ensemble. 1) Band really tests your patience, having to sit there and be quiet while the director works with another section. Maybe that's why band kids are such well-behaved goody two shoes. 2) Band directors are a really funny breed of person. Distinct sense of humor and special kind of dorkiness. (No offense intended on either point, I am both a band geek and a nerdy astrophysicist, after all.)
Very cool! It's funny how it can be hard to find one group, but once you do it's easier to find more!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds way fun. I was so into band in high school and college, and always meant to do something in grad school, but never got around to it. I occasionally consider finding some community group to join. Sounds like fun!
ReplyDeleteVery cool! I've debated trying to find something like this around here, but I haven't gotten off of my butt to do so. I also really miss playing! I'm thinking about volunteering to help local colorguard/winterguard instead - give back to the highschoolers! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm sure it will all come back to you quickly. Have fun!
ReplyDelete