Monday, December 6, 2010

Ah, students

This is an actual email received by a student:

"Also, the grades that are posted on Blackboard are a little different than the grades that you give us on the test. For example, I got a 77 on the first exam but on Blackboard it says that I got a 76.79. Why is that?"  (Blackboard is our online course management software.) 

Really??  A friend of mine said that I should just ignore that.  But I was thinking, the problem is that I can't just ignore stupid student emails.   And the main reason why is the course/instructor evaluations.  If I piss off even one student then it will hurt my bottom line number.  I will only get so many evaluations before tenure, and each little bit counts.  That is really dumb!  For the most part I don't try to "teach to the evaluations," but it does enter my mind when I have difficult student interactions.  I should be able to ignore stupid questions or tell students when they are being completely unreasonable, but sadly I feel like I can't.  I have to try to come out of it with the students thinking highly of me.  Very very annoying.  This is the last week of class, so I expect the stupid student emails to start swarming in!

2 comments:

  1. This is SUCH a sucky time of year to be a professor in a lot of ways. On the other hand, you're almost done? And that's good? I think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious. Why do students not think?! I've just had to deal with a handful of annoying emails. But I think they're over for the semester....I hope!

    ReplyDelete