I think that I mentioned a while ago that I've decided to pick up knitting. I've been meaning to for a while now, and I recently found my starter kit so I got going. It does seem to be the thing to do these days. And there are a few women on campus who get together once a week to knit over lunch, so it is a nice thing to do to relax a bit at work (not that I really have the time). Anyhoo, I am happy to announce that I have two projects under my belt now! To be fair, I first started out with a swatch of knit stitches for about 5 rows, then I got bored and decided to try a "real" project. So my first try was some hand warmers:
This really is a rectangle sewed together in a tube, but it was good practice with a ribbed pattern. And the yarn that I have is a bit too chunky for this, but I think it could work over my usual leather gloves for some extra warmth. Or to wear in the cold office and still be able to type. At the advice of a friend I'm going to try to learn a new technique with each new project. So for my second project I learned how to cable knit. It actually is pretty easy. And now I can look at my store-bought sweaters and see exactly how they are made. They use really tiny yarn, though!
I confess that I am pretty impressed with myself on this one. I didn't actually envision really wanting anything that I could knit, but I actually think that I will use this. Especially when I have my hair in a ponytail so it is hard to put on a hat. Unfortunately (or not) the weather has gotten incredibly gorgeous in the last few days, so I don't know that I will actually need this for another 8 months.
So now I'm trying to decide what to do for my next project. I have a million things that I want to try. I can already see that my problem is going to be actually finishing projects before I move on to the next one. Knitting is quite a bit repetitive. I suppose that is the relaxing part, and to an extent it is, but I am going to have to work on my patience in seeing results. I'll let you know if I finish anything cool!


Very nice work! I love how knitting is so relaxing, although it took me a couple projects to realize it's all about the "doing" and not about the finishing (until the end of course). Since it can get repetitive, I'm trying to find projects that change throughout, or have a few parts.
ReplyDeleteI just LOVE that cable-knit headband/ear-warmer thingie! Super cute.
ReplyDelete