Saturday, July 25, 2009

Almost there...

I just finished writing the introduction, yay! I have read soooo many papers in the last few days. The amazing thing is that I actually understood them! And I wish that I had known about a lot of them earlier, because I learned a lot in the process. Thank goodness, since there is a bit of an oral exam coming up for which I will be expected to know these things. I do still have a stack of papers to look through before the defense, but that will wait for another day. The only dissapointing thing is that my introduction looks a lot wimpier than expected. For example, finding three relevant papers may lead to just a single sentence with three citations in the intro. Oh well, at least I know what went into it.

So, for those keeping track at home, that means that the writing part is done(ish)! I still have a little bit of playing with data to do, and then I have to update the resulting plots and tables. And I have yet to receive comments from my advisor (and committee), which will probably result in a ton more things for me to write up. But for now I will be pleased.

I am also currently in the process of gathering signatures for the official scheduling form. The prevailing wisdom is that your committee will only let you defend if they intend to pass you, so it is somewhat nerve-inducing to ask for their signatures, however irrational that may seem. It makes it feel a bit like I have their official graduation signatures already. Things are getting real!

No comments:

Post a Comment